Schiit Mini loko+

Anybody out there with an opinion on using the Schiit mini loko+ for "desirable broadband" equalization in an analog chain ?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xhanshhh

So much conventional bollocks. If it is desirable then do it to it. The Loki has bypass making you only at the mercy of your cabling.

Hi everybody and thanks for the suggestions.

I feel guity to have withheld salient information. The problem to cure is a +6dB increase in the frequency response  between 1200 and 6300Hz as estimated from using the Stereophile Test Record 3 and a Radio Shack SPL meter (on a highly reviewed speaker). As said above, the DSPengine of the JRiver software takes care of the problem - my guess was that the Loki could work as well, given its particular characteristics. My bias is that a 6dB difference (equal to 4 times the acoustic energy) over such a broad frequency range is beyond any room treatment or similar. This apart from the fact that other speakers such as the Piega Coax 10.2 or the Gallo Ref 3.5 sound and measure perfectly ok in the same room.

The question really is, whether anybody with a decent analog rig has personal experience with the Loki+ and an idea about whether switching it in has any audible consequences apart from those the Loki is designed to perform. .

At the price of the Loki+ I think it is a no-brainer; I just have to try it. After all a new Loki is of the order of 0.3% of the new value of my living room rig.... 

That is quite a hump. You say room treatment won’t fix it? from 1200 to 6300hz.

Something is out of whack. Does it give that reading with one speaker at a time or does it take both. That is a frown on the EQ. A lot of the old monitors were that way it was one of the reasons for LPads in a 3 way on the mids and highs, even UHF LPads were common in the 70-80s with 4 and 5 way speakers.

It sounds like to me you got one lively room with a lot of open flooring and ceiling that is untreated. A tree or two might help. :-) I like BIG cannabis plants. Thai plants have the perfect leaf. Thin huge sun leaves.. Perfect.. Couple 8 footer should do..

We use to use cellophane in front of the seated position on the ceiling in a fish net to tame a REAL hot speaker. Line source was good for that. If that fixed it. dress it up or get the correct treatment..

Lot of people forget one of the most important areas. right in front of you, top and bottom and between the speakers.. I pull heavy drapes between the speakers for the degree of dampening I want.. I’ve always liked the look to.. That is one of the reasons for the Queen Ann legs I use on my cabinets.. Heavy floor to ceiling drapes.. I have a throne too. :-) Well I should say the wife, she has taken over my front sound room, lock stock and barrel.

I just want my Cary V12 back in the main room and get rid of the flippin VTL mono blocks. They sound more like a SS amp than a SS amp does. They suck.. 450 MB pretty though.. On loan..

If I wanted that kind of accuracy I’ll use Krells or something.. Leave the tubes out of the mess.

EQ? I’d try a mechanical solution before I’d keep an EQ in the chain. GEQ can be passive and in parallel vs a PEQ that is in series of the chain.. More than one way to add a contour, too. Can dub the signal.. vs digitize it..