Schiit Loki Max?

I'm considering buying the new Loki Max EQ for two reasons: 1) its capacity for remote function from the listening chair and 2) its reputed improved transparency (not the the Lokius I currently own isn't remarkably transparent). 

Has anyone tried one of these? ? ? 

stuartk

Showing 4 responses by dwest1023

I tried the Loki max in my system with pass int 250 and the transparency was not the same when the unit was installed and in by pass mode. It was very hard to detect, and I wanted to love this piece. I ended up returning while still in trial period.

Sorry, I meant that I COULD detect the Loki in my system. There seemed to be some compression with the unit installed. I switched back in forth many times, as I I wanted to keep the unit. It was very well built and did not change the character of the music at all. The controls were like changing the character of the speakers more than the music. I hated to send it back, but I had just purchased a Pass int 250 which is very transparent, and I lost a bit of that with the Loki installed. This might not be noticed on other systems. There was one other person that returned his for the same reason.

I have had MY LOKI Max for about a year and I must say I could not do without it in my system. I have space limitations in my room, which cause me to locate my bookshelf speakers close to the rear wall. What I like most about the Loki, is it seems to change more the characteristic of the speaker then the sound. Someone ask about transparency. Absolutely to my ears it is. I have remove it dozens of times from my Pass 250 and I can not detect any difference in or out. I have my room treated so I don’t need to use it often, but it sure is handy when I need it. Most of the time is just a very small adjustment here or there. Nothing like adjusting from a chair. I did use a black magic marker to color the notches on the knobs, to heal me see. It’s a bit pricey, but if somehow it stopped working I would immediately get another if it was not repairable. 

Stuart, when I say change the characteristic of the speaker, I mean when you adjust a frequency on the loki, it’s as if yoou change how the speakers is voiced. If you adjust the highest treble knob, you can make your speaker become bright. Your source music never seems to be altered. It is as if the Loki is built in the speakers. That is how good it is. Never thought I would be an EQ in my system. My Mac amp has a built in EQ but I never use it. It never sounds right. The Loki is MUCH better.