Schiit Gungnir DAC - anyone have one of these?

I'm looking at a new DAC and this one is peeking my interest a lot.

Is there anyone out there than can provide some feedback as to their performance or DAC's they're comparable too

I know nothing of Schiit as a company, but the appear to have a very focussed product line - something I like in a company

Many thanks
williewonka

Showing 6 responses by dragon1952

If you try one get it from someplace like Audio Advisors so you can demo it for a reasonable period of time without risking much. I think I have a fairly laid back system due to my tube integrated and although the Gungnir gave me some 'wow' moments I found it hard to listen to overall (glare?)for more than a little while. I settled on the PS Audio NuWave which I think is way better for approx the same $$$ and nicer to look at to boot.
OK....here goes my credibility :^ /
Ming Da MC88-C integrated (KT-88 tubed w/active pre-amp), SB Touch w/ Welborne P/S and EDO installed, PS Audio NuWave connected to Touch via custom USB w/ separated power conductor, NuWave to integrated via Blue Jeans LC-1 IC's, Martin Logan Source speakers w/ Kimber 8VS wire. Please don't dis the BJ LC-1's, they are excellent IC's and I've been in the hobby for nearly 40 yrs.
A lot of people seem to really like the Gungnir so maybe it just wasn't synergistic with my system and/or to my preferences. Like I said earlier, it had some 'wow' moments, and yeah maybe dynamics have something to do with it. The NuWave just sounds really 'right' to me all the time, and on everything whereas the Gungnir didn't.
07-11-13: Rrog
"Hard to listen to? Glare? I find this hard to believe."

Feel free to post your thoughts on how it sounds to you. Like I said...lots of people seem to like it.
"just look at the two parts wise ,no contest in build quality"

Give me a break...."no contest"?
I've owned both and examined the build quality on both. Like or dislike is subjective, and if you wish to claim way better build quality or parts that's up to you. I wouldn't call the transformers "huge" and dual DAC's is meaningless as far as build and parts quality. The NuWave does have a huge toroidal transformer that takes up half the enclosure, like the Gungnir it also has class A fully discrete analog section, weighs 4 lbs more (since you brought weight up), I doubt the Adapticlock is any better than the Perfectwave clocks. I'm not knocking the Gungir's build quality but to say it's 'way better' is pretty ludicrous.