Schiit Freya + Class A in Stereophile

I know there are a lot of audiophiles who don't think sterophile knows what they are talking about but I think its' pretty impressive that a 1000 preamp is put in the same category as 50K and up.  I can't really believe that the Freya + is that good.  I have one and do think it's pretty amazing for all that you get and you can really make it even better with some better tubes.  I am constantly blown away at the sound of the Freya + into the Decware Zen triode amp. 2K for the combo and just about the best sound I have ever had in my home.  Great news for less well heeled audiophiles.  

128x128ejlif

What other preamps did you compare it to besides the audio research? I personally don't like the sound of audio research preamps, might as well buy a solid state preamp.

Did Stereophile give it that rating for sound quality or features? The Freya+ has a killer set of features: Stepped attenuator volume control, RCA and XLR inputs and outputs, 3 output modes - passive mode, solid state gain mode without tubes, full tube driven output mode. And the passive mode can do XLR or single ended Hometheater pass-through. It also sounds good especially with better tubes. I agree with the rating although I don’t disagree that higher end preamps will sound better.

@wolf_garcia 

did you change all 4 of the tubes to NOS GE tubes?

is there a model number for the NOS GE tubes?

Stereophile gives ratings based on sound quality. There is an inverse relationship between sound quality and features. Feature rich audio stuff is mid-fi or low-fi. Sound quality is the important criteria in high end audio.

Mr_bill...yes, all 4. I even have a few extras and they last a very long time at least relative to power tubes. 6SN7GTB. Stereophile rated the Freya + "Class A" even though it has lots of features...