SCD-1 & SCD-777ES Sonically What's the Difference?

I own the Sony SCD-777ES. I have been told that the transports to both this and the SCD-1 are exactly alike. Therefore, am I missing something sonically by not owning the SCD-1, or is the $600-$800 price difference for the SCD-1 just simply so one can own the original "flagship" of the SACD line? Cosmetically they seem very different but that isn't of major concern to me.
128x128jcbach

Showing 2 responses by larryi

My understanding is that there is essentially no difference, aside from the use of an inverter to create a "fake" balanced output available on the SCD-1.

If you like the looks of the 777, or don't really care about looks, you made the right choice. I bought the SCD-1 years ago not knowing that there was no relevant difference between the two.
Some units have two DACs outputting a true differential signal that is then amplified in a differential analogue stage.

An op-amp inverter used to create a balanced signal does, as you say, provide the balanced output that is useful on longer interconnection runs, but the typical user does not run such long interconnects. These users expect a better quality signal from the balanced output (I don't know why), so an added stage that may degrade the signal is a bit of a disappointment.