sansui 2000a 35 wpc 8ohms and kef c80 4ohm

what do you think ? thank you
rocky1313

Showing 1 response by atmasphere

I'd be careful! That series (which IIRC includes the 5000) didn't have the most stable output sections. The 2000 held together better than the 5000 though- I saw a lot less of the 2000s than the bigger units when I serviced this sort of thing for a living.

So a few tips- the receiver should be in a clear space with nothing blocking the grill on top. I would try it out on the speakers at volume levels that you enjoy and place your hand over the grill on occasion to see how hot the amp is running. If it gets really warm, then I'd look for a different speaker. Many of the Japanese amps and receivers from this period simply didn't have adequate heatsinks to allow them to deal with 4 ohms. Back when this unit was made, speakers tended to be easier to drive. On top of that, unless the output transistors have been reseated, its very possible that the heatsink compounds used to help transfer heat from the output transistors to the heatsink has perished, in which case the outputs will be running a lot hotter than the designer expected! This can lead to failure!

Its a nice little receiver you got there. It'd be a real shame if something happened to it... Kapish?