Safe to use 110V/60Hz in other countries?

Took on an assignment in Singapore, they use 220V/50Hz there.

Even with step down transformer, my wireless router AC adaptor died in a day because it did not like the 50Hz incoming power (I think). Same thing happened to my friend's wireless router, Tivoli, and Bose Wave.

I was thinking of buying an integrated amp from US so I can bring back and use later. Is it safe to run 50Hz power on electronics designed for 60Hz power?
semi

Showing 1 response by dewald_visser

Electronic equipment is supposed to operate on any frequency between 45Hz up to 100Hz. Amps, CDP, and other convert the main power to DC and filter it anyway. Only machines like turntable motors (AC Synchronous) need an exact frequency to operate correctly (AC Sync motors uses the mains freq to run at a certain speed ie. 50Hz for 250rpm or 60Hz for 300rpm - see the VPI site).

Get an amplifier with "World Power" voltage selector. On the tag it will state that the unit can operate on the following: 110/220 volt 50/60Hz AC. In South Africa most of the audio-equipment's rated like this.

Regards,
Dewald

Just remember that if your 'paralel import' goes faulty that the US manufacturer or service agent won't service it at all or supply parts... be careful