Safe Shipping, Fact or Fiction

I have always purchased gear locally as to avoid the potential hassles of dealing with shippers. I have read some of the threads on this site that discuss the carelessness and mishandling of packages. Worse yet, I have read about the major carriers denying claims. I have found an item here on Agon that I would like to buy. The only hesitation I have is the shipping issue.

Overall, how much of a problem is shipping? What recommendations do you have for reducing the chances of these types of problems occurring? I'm not necessarily looking for a rating of UPS vs Fed Ex. I really want to know the best tactics that can be applied (i.e.: the carrier, the packaging, marking/identifying the package, the covering of one's proverbial ass, etc.).

Thanks.
2chnlben

Showing 1 response by jj2468

Some manufacturers forget that an object in motion wants to stay in motion. Although the outer box and inner foam usually does a good job of protecting the chassis, I've seen inside components dislodge when their inertia exceeds the strength of their mounts. Drop a package on its side and the box stops but the transformer inside wants to keep going.

I'm not sure of the solution. Jeff