SAEC 308N vs 308SX

Does anyone know the differences between these two tonearms? I can find only that the SX version came later than the 308N. Is there any functional reason why the SX seems to be valued at nearly double that of the 308N. Thanks.
lewm

Showing 1 response by hiho

I used to own a regular 308 and a 308SX, but not at the same time, if memory serves me well. All these suffixes of N, L, SX are confusing. But I remember it visually and the counterweight is heavier with a bigger diameter chunk at the back. I think they were originally for heavy cartridges like SPU. Not so sure, just a hunch. All SAEC arms have amazing bearings. When you pull the armwand, there's no slop or chatter whatsoever in the bearings. None. That's a great start for a quiet system.

However, it had a rather sterile sound so I didn't have much luck with the sound but back then I didn't know what I was doing so I cannot be fair and that was probably 20 years ago. It was purchased for only $200 at the time. The design was the Japanese's answer to the SME. Build quality is better than a typical SME 3009 and much better bearings. The one nitpicking is that I prefer SME's way of doing antiskating because it's independent from the vertical movement. The SAEC uses a rod attached to the counterweight post and that might hinder vertical movement.

I would give it another shot, if I acquire one.

_______
More to discover