Sabre EE Minimax Plus - Calyx - Audiolab 8200DQ

Im looking into these three 32 bit Saber dacs. Anyone wants to share some insights? Im attracted to the Minimax Plus but the lack of Balanced outputs puts me off.... Thanks!
guydebord

Showing 3 responses by douglas_schroeder

Guydebord, There is good news for you; forget about the DAC Plus not having balanced outputs. Instead use the AES/EBU connection between the Minimax DAC Plus and the Lyngdorf - this is superior to running balanced connections. You use a single XLR cable for the AES/EBU connection. With any DAC the results from using the AES/EBU connection can be far superior to the DAC's RCA or XLR output.

I did not have a Preamp which accepted AES/EBU at the time of the DAC Plus review for Dagogo.com, or else I surely would have preferred it to the RCA/XLR output.

Make sure to try several different cables as the results will vary widely.
Al, egg on my face; went brain dead; yes, the AES/EBU is input not out. I used it with the orignal version and should have rechecked prior to commenting. Mea Culpa...
Ad on to the previous; I look back at the comment I made and think, "What was going through my mind?" It reminds me of the rule I instituted in regards to system building. When I get very tired I will not conduct work on setting up a system. One time when I was very tired I got a brain wave to reconfigure; I should have gone to bed instead!

I think I'll apply that rule to writing/posting as well; illogical things can take on a fuzzy validity when one is tired.