Running 4 speakers from a 2-channel amp

I love the sound of 4 speakers playing at once around me. I've got a simple old SS amp, Luxman L507 (mid-1970's) that runs 4 speakers at once. I'm running a pair of Yamaha NS-1000x (6 Ohm) as mains, and a tweaked set of B&W 805Ns (8 Ohm) as B's.

I'm talking here about 2-channel sound, 4 speakers, not 4-channel surround sound.

I've been looking for a higher-end amp, but find almost all are two-channels only, with ports for only two speakers.

Some great old Luxman tube amps offer 4 channels, but only one pair at a time is available on the selector ("A or B," not "A and B"). One shop told me they could have one modified for me to be able to play 4 speakers, at only a small cost.

Another shop told me that playing 4 speakers at once, even on my current old Luxman, which has the "A and B" option, overburdens the amp and shortens it's life.

I wonder - can't we wire-up 4 speakers, say two on each side in parallel, like in so many car stereo setups?

Am I really limited to only 2 speakers with a 2-channel amp?
jimthewebguy

Showing 1 response by renjy651

Jimthewebguy -

Only very high-end integrated amps offer two pairs of speakers. The Luxman L505U offers two pairs of speakers, which allows you to utilize A+B. This is achieved through employing Takasina capacitors, which are custom-made capacitors that Luxman uses in all of its amplifiers. These capacitors are used in parellel circuitry - and thereby permits the bi-wiring of a single-set of speakers.

I completely agree with Bjpd57a1. Without two pairs of speakers, even the highest-quality amps cannot achieve the highest levels of quality that quadrophonic systems can. However many high-end companies (such as Bryston and Krell) do not offer two pairs of speakers because it entails extra production costs (due to the added circuitry). When you use A+B, make sure that the speakers are 8-ohms.

Jimthewebguy, you used your old Luxman L507 with four speakers without problems. I used my old Luxman1120 for 29 years without any problem. There is no sound that can beat a four-speaker system.