Run direct from ML 390s CD player without preamp?

I was considering running the Mark Levinson 390s CD player/processor direct ly into the Conrad Johnson Premier 140 power amp with the Wilson WP7s. How would that work out? What are the advantages or disadvantages of leaving the preamp out of the system? I do not need a tuner and plan only to use CD in the front end.
dbk

Showing 1 response by sgr

I think you would be surprised how good it would sound. The #390s is very flexible. It also offers an upgrade path in that you can go from just the #390s to using a preamp, then use the #390s as a transport using a seperate DAC, and then if you ever have a breakdown with any of your equipment (as long as it is not the #390s you can use it to replace everything in your system except your amps.
I used the #39 for a long time and the #390s is sounds better but offers all of the above advantages.
The #390s preamp stage works in the analog realm and should have no problem driving your preamp. ML also uses a proprietary method to make this work and is one of the few that gets the job done with no apologies.

Good listening!
sgr (Steven)