RT81 vs AT-LP60?

Hi

Anyone have experience with these or other sub $250 tables?

My top choices are:

• Pro-Ject Primary
  • Fluance RT81

PURPOSE: I’m transferring my vinyl collection to digital, and will then sell off the table.

PRIORITIES: audio quality, detail, low-noise/distortion/wow/flutter. Prefer adjustable counterweight, anti-skate, and speed-control (unless already well-done preconfig’d). Auto-stop. I know auto-stop is for amateurs, but my purpose is set-and-forget digitizing-- i want to start a transfer and leave the house for a couple hours (without the stylus or LP getting damaged). I have no problem with "advanced" setup (eg counterweight and anti-skate). Built-in pre-amp is a big plus. Changeable cartridge.

DON’T NEED: built-in USB, i already own an external USB converter. Don’t need 78 RPM. I’m not a DJ, so don’t need a table i can bang around, don’t need instant turn-on, etc.

BELT DRIVE: For above reasons, i’m inclined to go with belt-drive. I understand direct-drive is more susceptible to motor noise, while belt drive is the audiophile’s choice.

BUDGET : $250 is my absolute cap, including shipping (i get free shipping on Amazon).

RT81 has fantastic reviews. This would be my choice, except for commonly-mentioned issues with speed consistency. One reviewer said the speed issues go away after a few days. Can anyone verify that?

REJECTED: i’ve theoretically rejected the following, but open to opinions (quotes come from various reviews):

• Pro-Ject VTE-R - "Gimmicky"
  • Pro-Ject Essential II Digital - "can’t replace the stylus. deck slid around a bit if I pressed the on/off switch too hard; the whole package is very light in weight and the felt-bottomed feet don’t do much to offer any friction. In general, the Essential II Digital looks and feels a little cheap."
  • Pro-ject Debut III - "when I set the needle in the runout groove, turned the volume all the way up (well past ear-splitting levels), and set the platter rotating, I could hear a very faint low-level hum from the motor"
  • Flexson VinylPlay - "feels lightweight and plasticky"
  • Denon DP-300F - "Pro-Ject Debut III and Debut Carbon both have better cartridges—Ortofon models that outshine the Denon’s no-name cart. If something was lacking, it was the bottom end. lacking in real oomph. Also, the machine itself made a bit more noise than we’re used to."
  • Audio-Technica AT-LP60 - "worse sound quality." "Cartridge cannot be changed"
  • Audio-Technica AT-LP120 - direct-drive
  • u-turn orbit - price
  • pro-ject debut carbon - prce
  • Marantz TT42 - price

(posted to vinylmeplease.com, vinylengine.com, and audiogon.com)
johnyradio
Audio-Technica AT-LP120 - direct-drive ...I really like this budget table, bought one for my nephew at Christmas a few years back. Works great and sounds very nice with a Ortofon RED mounted on it. Highly enjoyable to set up and use.

Matt M
More to discover