RPG Room Optimizer and other software rives, etc.

What are other a'philes experiences with the RPG room optimizer and the other room software packages out there? Is it worth $100? I am not building a dedicated room, just working on my current room. I figure you probably end up setting the speakers up by ear anyway, so do these software packages add sonic value (by perhaps giving you ideas where to put a bookcase or absorber, etc)? Anybody out there have the software and want to run my room for the thrill of it?
wrtickle

Showing 1 response by nikturner920

I use and like CARA. As mentioned above it takes some effort, and frankly you really need to have an extra PC around as model runs can take hours. It is German software and does not violate German software laws that state: All programs should offer as many features as possible regardless of the impact on usability. Once you get the swing of things the flexibility it offers is really impressive. Beyond helping with placement, Cara teaches you what is going on with the acoustics of your room and speakers. I have enjoyed that on a nerdy level quite a bit. I would say that if you have mid-level or higher computer skills and are willing to put a little time in CARA is one of the best bang for the buck tweeks for your system. For casual use it is probably too much, there are free programs around that can really help with basic speaker placement in rectangle rooms. Also, CARA will not just tell you where to put acoustic treatments though it has a very nice feature that tells you the tonal balance of your room (ie is it your speakers that are bright or the room?) CARA works by using a model of your room, speakers, and furnishings in the room (including acoustic treatments if you put them in) and then does acoustical calculations while changing the position of the speakers and / or the listening location. Then it gives you the location that produced the best frequency response. After you get a location you can change the furnishing or add absorbers and see if you get a better score. The biggest strength of CARA is exploring speaker placement options in unusual shaped rooms. It really can help by giving you some ideas you would not have thought of. For me, even my first simple runs suggested moving both speakers and listening position 2ft to the right. I had not considered this in the past as I had a table there but in the past I had moved the speakers all over the open area of the room. Anyway, huge improvement by just doing that. Also, helped with bass adjustment by giving the best distance for the speakers from the front wall. This distance +/- 6in was constant no matter what I changed in the model and helped narrow things down.

Look here for something simple:
http://www.audiogrid.com/audio/
bottom of page 'Visual Ears'

Cheers, Nik