Rowland Model 6 + b&W 804s a good match?

Hi.

I've been searching threads re Rowland and B&W and found tidbits indicating it is a great match, but then never found much more than tidbits. I'm wondering if anybody here has been able to audition these, or runs such combination. I'm considering JRDG Model 6 for my 804s.

I read referrals from people saying these Rowlands sound a lot like tubes in the mid and higher frequencies. I've auditioned Classe and McIntosh and prefer the latter way better. Many also describe solid state Mac sound as tube-like, so I'm wondering what Rowlands might do for me. Unfortunately there's no place for me to audition these.

Thanks!
lewinskih01

Showing 2 responses by lewinskih01

Raquel,

Point taken. I was hoping you would chime in, as I've seen a number of your posts in connection with Model 6.

Would you suggest using Model 2 with the 804s then? Or other Rowland amp? Do you believe Rowland sound is a good match for these speakers?

Thanks.
Hifimaniac: The 804s have 2 6" woofers, so not big at all. These are usually not so difficult to drive, although they can always use some help in deep bass generation. The biggest issue with these speakers I believe is the tweeter, which can sound harsh with brighter amps. Hence the 804s tend to sound good with tubes or "tube-like" solid state, like McIntosh. Since I cannot audition Rowlands I am out seeking people's opinions. McIntosh is my option, from what I did audition.

Audphile1: I understand what you say. I'm wondering about the Model 6 sound signature matching with the 804s.

Thanks all for the opinions!