Rowland Continuum 500, RCA vs. XLR

I recently got a Continuum 500 and using it with an RCA I/C to my Accuphase DP500 CDP. I understand this CDP is a fully balanced design, as well as the C500. I am trying to decide whether it is worth changing my I/C to XLR, or just leave it. I use a 1.0M RSA Poiema for my I/C and changing this to XLR is not cheap, so would appreciate thoughts from C500 owners who have compared it on RCA and XLR mode.
noelpastor

Showing 2 responses by noelpastor

Thanks. Btw this was JR's response on my question regards difference in C500 between RCA and XLR..

"When RCA inputs are chosen, the negative polarity of the signal is connected to the input ground, in our components. Unlike many audio products,there is no addition or subtraction of circuitry in the Continuum regardless of which input is used. Therefore, single-ended signal transmission cannot be as good as balanced because the signal reference is ground, and ground will always be noisy and different throughout an audio system.

If you want to know more, you can read some of the info on our website. The above explanation is simplified, of course."
Thanks Dcstep, that's helpful. The response I got from JR suggested that XLR will always be quieter, though this did not seem to be a factor in your case. My I/C length is also only 1M.

I guess I should do this upgrade only if I really wish to upgrade the I/C in absolute terms, rather than for the reason of moving from RCA to XLR. One question though.. was your source fully balanced. In my case I think the Accuphase DP500 CDP is stated to be fully balanced, at least on the brochure. Maybe this would account for some difference.