Rowland Continuum 500, RCA vs. XLR

I recently got a Continuum 500 and using it with an RCA I/C to my Accuphase DP500 CDP. I understand this CDP is a fully balanced design, as well as the C500. I am trying to decide whether it is worth changing my I/C to XLR, or just leave it. I use a 1.0M RSA Poiema for my I/C and changing this to XLR is not cheap, so would appreciate thoughts from C500 owners who have compared it on RCA and XLR mode.
noelpastor

Showing 4 responses by kijanki

Simontju - Continuum 500 is a class D creature. It cannot be balanced input to output. It has balanced inputs and fully balanced pre but it's converted to duty cycle (time) in analog modulator to finally drive full Mosfet bridge.
Simontju - I just cannot imagine how. Output is not balanced (H-bridge in not same as "bridged"). Would you suggest two separate analog modulators? And each of the driving what? Feedback connected where? It wouldn't make any sens.

A little more about H-bridge. 4 Mosfets switch output between V+ and GND (changing polarity). It is done only to avoid using bidirectional supply and has nothing to do with being bridged.

If you use second monoblock to run bridge mode than I think you're mixing balanced with bridged. You could possibly put two monoblocks for each channel and connect one wire of balanced input signal and the GND to each input (+ phase reversing circuit) but it would not make any sense. Am I missing something?
Simontiu - Continuum 500 couldn't be balanced all the way thru because of its output stage (already bridge).

Do you know of any fully balanced (input to output) Class D amps (not counting DIY seettings). I don't even know traditional fully balanced integrated amp - do you know? It is probably not very common.

Your amps must be Channel Island (Hypex based) or other design.

This phase reversal means that it is not fully balanced (am I missing something). In order to create fully balanced system you need to get fully balanced output and connect each of the output signals to separate amps' inputs and connect ground of the preamp to ground of the inputs. Two output signals of balanced preamp are already i opposite phase - no need to reverse. Each power amp has signal related to GND but the output signal depends only on the difference (speaker between amps removes ground dependency). If you need to reverse input signal - it means that at one point you use the same signal to create different polarities and therefore you are not fully balanced - you're just bridged to get 4x power.
Simon - I understand advantage but you have to pay for it. I'm more experienced on electronics side of things than audio.