Rowland 625 versus Audio Research DS450

I'm a big fan of Rowland Products. I heard the 625 at CES and was rather impressed by its huge solid soundstage, and the detailed yet mellifluous sound. I was rather depressed by the price tag. I was hoping it would be in Rowland 501 range.

I also heard the Audio Research DS450 with Magnepans at CES. While the sound was very relaxed and tube like, I didn't hear as much bass, as I would have liked. Perhaps it was the speakers or the recordings played?

I noticed both manufacturers avoided the term Class D or "Ice Module" like the plague. I think Class D has become a dirty word among some audiophiles...

Any other thoughts on how the sound of the Rowland 625 compares to Audio Research's DS450?

I would like to save up for one of them. The DS450 or even DS225 seem like they might be "better bang for the buck" (in relative terms). Appreciate your comments. Tks!
optimus

Showing 1 response by inna

I am barely familiar with this type of speakers. Are big Soundlabs bass light as well? And I never heard anyone complain about their midrange. Why are you so attached to Maggies? Something very special? If there is no good bass there is no foundation. Even if you only listen to solo guitar or singing.
I don't know about Audio Research but there are no bad Rowlands so if someone wants to choose the best for a particular application one has to try a few. Older Rowlands can sound deeper.