Rowland 302 v. Krell 400CX

I currently have a Krell 400CX and am thinking about getting a Rowland 302. I am using Wilson Watt Puppy 7 speakers and Cary 306-200. My musical taste is all over the map. I am wondering if people have experience with the Rowland 302 and possibly with Wilson Watt Puppy speakers and if they think its a better fit than the Krell?

Michael
radioheadokplayer

Showing 3 responses by stevecham

Rowland 302 is rated at 300W into 8 Ohms, 500W into 4 Ohms, apparently not rated into 2 Ohm loads. What does that tell you about power supply? To me it means that if you have speakers that dip down into the 4 Ohm region at some frequencies of the impedance curve, they will not receive the same current as other areas of the frequency spectrum and so relative dynamics at those frequencies will be compromised.

Depending on input demands, Krell adjusts to maintain class A bias as 400W into 8 Ohms, 800W into 4 Ohms and 1600W into 2 Ohms. What does that tell you about design of the power supply? Plus it weighs about 20 pounds more.

Also, 302 input impedance is 40K Ohms and Krell is 100K Ohms; the Krell is an easier load for a preamp than is the Rowland, but not by much since it is within an order of magnitude.

My feeling is that your source, pre, cables and software are going to make more of a sonic difference than either of these amps into those speakers. Clearly, the Krell is going to have better electrical control over the speakers than the Rowland.

I have a 400cx and so am a bit biased (no pun intended ;-))I wouldn't think of trading it for anything except a 700cx or 750mcx.
I would be interested in learning more about these amps from a technical standpoint. I was unable to find out more beyond what was posted on the Rowland site.
Jfz what other amps did you try with your Rockports? (you said the 302 was the "best - by far", that's quite a statement, wouldn't you agree?)

As other audiogoner may already know, I abhor the use of terms such as "best" or "worst" as I don't believe such absolutes actually exist.

Also I noticed that the frequency response for the Rowland is stated as 5 - 60 kHz +/- 3 dB while the frequency reposne of the Krell is stated at 0.1 - 240 kHz + 0 dB/- 3.0 dB.

So while I agree that specs don't tell the whole so- called "musical" story, at least from an electrical design standpoint, "digital" IEC or otherwise clearly Krell is superior on several fronts. Also, I have yet to see anyone credibly argue that Krells specs are other than conservative. (NOTE: I did not, nor will I ever, say that Krell is "best").