Router for Audio Streaming

I have been streaming Pandora, Spotify and Qobuz through a wifi network streamer from a Netgear AC1750 R6400v2 router with no sound quality complaints.

Recently a router firmware update failed (a known issue with these) and as a result it is no longer accessible for administration.  It still seems to perform ok and accepts new devices however the network settings are "frozen" and I am unable to view device IP addresses or traffic, neither via desktop browser nor via the Nighthawk app.

I will try a factory reset but have read that quite often this does not work in these situations, so I started investigating getting a new router to be able to pull the trigger quickly if needed.

I heard/read that routers can make a difference in sound quality, beyond just being able to keep up with streaming with no buffering.  I'm wondering what router experience and recommendations folks have here for reliable audio streaming with superior sound quality at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

yoramguy1

OK, I get what you were after, @dougthebiker ... The "square waves" defining the individual bits...

In fact they are not and do not need to be square at all. They "just" need to meet specified tolerance windows of high and low values inside a specified clock window.

Both wifi and ethernet signals need to meet this. Both wifi and wired routers and switches need to comply with these window specs. Good ones do, really bad ones may not.

What I was trying to explain is that an error in the level of one or more bits (1 instead of 0 or vice versa) does not create distortion, it creates a numerical error vs. the check bits which either can be corrected or results in a drop or buffering or really obvious noise, not harmonic distortion or amplitude or phase shift.

Of course wifi is susceptible to range and strength and bandwidth/speed issues. The point is that once you have a properly set up network with decent equipment and the signal is stable (sufficient speed and strength), the signal you will get via wifi will be identical to the one you get via ethernet.

Low quality or too long ethernet cables can also cause your bit signal to shift outside of the tolerance windows and cause transmission errors due to out of spec resistance, capacitance or inductance.

Think of streaming HD TV on your wifi Amazon Fire Stick vs. via digital cable. If you have enough bandwidth and signal strength, the picture on the same TV will be the same. The colors will be the same, the resolution will be the same, etc. The one on the Fire Stick will not be "distorted".

Same thing with audio. I took care to specify and locate my existing router and streamer such that there is no buffering or drops. I now need at minimum to replicate this. To my knowledge there are indeed subtle, incremental sound quality improvement opportunities in better routers due to clocking accuracy and electrical noise, and that’s the reason for my original post. But that applies to both ethernet and wifi.

I believe we beat this horse to death.

Cheers!

Update:  Two routers ordered on Amazon Prime:  Asus AX5400 (conventional) and TP-Link X60 3-pack. The Asus based on specs and highest rated reviews on Amazon.  The TP-Link based on specs and several endorsements here.

The Asus is here and the TP-Link is due here tomorrow.  Once it's here I will try first the factory reset and firmware update on the current Netgear.  If successful (kind of doubt it) both news ones go back.  If not successful I have yet to decide which new one to try first.  If the first new one works, the other new one goes back.  If the first new one does not work it goes back and we try the second one.  If that one does not work either (unlikely I think) it also goes back and we're back to the drawing board...

@yoramguy1 it'll be interesting to hear how you get on but i'm still a bit puzzled why you're focusing so much attention on the Router as a solution. Will your router still be connected to lots of other devices on the network? or are you planning to use if exclusively for your Streaming set up, eg, with ethernet coming in and one cable going out to the streamer.

Hello @teknorob23 ,

Please refer to my original post. I am focusing on the router because it is broken. Everything else is fine. I am simply inquiring whether there is obvious opportunity for any sound quality improvement in case I need to replace it.

I have fine and stable sound with wifi streaming, no drops or buffering issues. I am just no longer able to control my router, that's what this is all about.

I intend to use the repaired or new router exactly the same way I use it now - through wifi and with all other current wifi devices. I have 10 or 11 wifi devices on the network including at most one smart TV concurrently with the streamer. No gaming or cameras. We have one desktop connected to the router via ethernet for my wife's business (zoom-type sessions). If I decide to use the Asus it will be connected to the desktop via the priority (gaming) port.

If you end up trying more than one, it will be interesting to hear if you not a difference.