Rouge M120 With 99 or 66 Preamp

Has anyone gone from a Rogue 66 to A 99 pre Amp while using the M120 MONO's.What are your comments.Is there a big huge small great diffrence.I am using the 120 66 combo and am thinking of going to the 99.
tml2

Showing 2 responses by sedond

hi tm12, i know this is not what ya wanna hear, but i humbly suggest you try a cary slp98 - it bested my magnum-updated 99 in *all* areas. and, there's even further gains to be had w/their modified caps, which my unit doesn't have. that being said, i've replaced my cary w/something even better - *way* better, imho: a melos music director. these can be had used, for great pricing, due to melos' recent problems, but they are back in bizniz now, w/brant hedlund, one of their former engineers, having bought the company, & now offering service to melos owners. he hopes to be back in production w/product w/in a year. regards, & good luck, doug ps-the purchaser of my rogue 99 had a 66 prior - he emailed me to tell me it was *way* better than his old 66...
hi plato, ya, i'm the guy w/the *alleged* impedance mismatch. re: the magnum upgrade, perhaps it's not official, but it's real, i paid real money for it. also, further upgraded my 99 w/nos ge tubes which helped a *lot* (line-stage only; i have an outboard fono-stage), but still not enuff for my liking. here's why i tink there was an impedance mismatch: Rogue sez the 99's output impedance is 100 ohms, I think it's a bit higher. My x-over's input impedance is 25kohms. This means there'd be potential impedance mismatch problems when a preamps' output impedance starts to approach 2.5k ohms. Well, I crossed a 2.2kohm resistor over the outputs when the 99 was plugged into my x-over, & there was an easily audible drop in the volume output, indicating at least a 3db reduction in volume. This indicates an output impedance of somewhere around 2kohms, a lot higher than rogue's claimed 100ohms. A similar test w/my cary preamp, rated at 800ohms output impedance, showed no reduction in volume w/the 2.2kohm resistor - it took a 1kohm resistor to reduce the volume by 3db, & this is consistent w/the cary's 800ohm output impedance rating. perhaps the rogue's extension is better w/amps (or crossovers) w/input impedances of 100kohms... regards, doug