Rotel RCD 991 or 1072?

Trying to decide on which of these I'll be happiest with. Has anyone here had experience with both? I've heard great things about the 991 but given how old they are now I'm not sure...? I hear mixed reviews on the 1072. Any help is appreciated.
auralhygienist
Hello, I have the 991 and enjoy it very much. The dither adjust capability is rather handy for making slight changes to the sound. Probably not considered a real option for the purist, but I like it. I am told the 990 had a bit more substantial transport. Unfortunately I can't offer an objective comparison to the 1072. As far as reliability I think the 991 seems to be pretty rugged.
I HAD THE 991 AND I DID NOT LIKE IT AT ALL. THE SOUND WAS BRIGHT ,AND HARSH ON THE TOP END. I ENDED UP WITH A WADIA 850 MUCH CLEANER SOUND ALL AROUND A BETTER CD-PLAYER. I PAYED $1800 USED ON AUDIOGON.

RUSS
I've heard that the 991 has synergy with a rotel amp or preamp. I heard it was better than the 1070. I hear the 1072 is much improved, but haven't been able to compare either.

I am was very happy with the 1070 when I had it. Rotel is great at their price point.

If I had to do it all over again, like Russ, I'd go for a player (usually tube but not always) that will help to minimize the "digital edge" on the top end.

For about the same price the Jolida JD100 is much more enjoyable for long listening sessions.
I would look elsewhere for a CD Player. A buddy of mine ordered the 1072 and it was average at best. Save your money and get a Cary 309 or a Quad CDP99.

Chris
I had a Rotel 971(not a 991 but same vintage) and then went to the 1072. The 1072 is much better everywhere. More detail, more extension at both ends, blacker blacks, etc...

Having said that. I sold the 1072 and bought a Marantz 8260 for almost the same price. It was a HUGE step up.

If you are set on a Rotel, get the 1072. If you're looking for the best player for your money, there are others out there.
8260 a huge step over the 1072? I guess if you want a smoother sound, that would be the case but overall, I find the 8260 lacks detail and dynamics. Probably depends on whether the speakers can reproduce the detail sufficiently.
Aball-

I found just the opposite. To my ears the 1072 lacked dynamics and detail, compared to the Marantz.

What CDP do you have?