Rotel RCD-1520 or 1072?

Hello all, I am in the process of upgrading my CD player and have narrowed it down to two choices. My system consists of Paradigm Studio 60v5 speakers and Rotel separates (RC-1082 & RB-1080). I'm using an old Sony CA-9ES disc changer, which was good in its time but is getting a little long in the tooth I think. Should I upgrade to Rotel's newer RCD-1520, which uses Wolfson DACs and offers a slot-loading mechanism, or save the cash and look for a used RCD-1072?
mkash3

Showing 2 responses by mkash3

Thanks for the responses guys! It does seem like the 1072 is a great machine and I guess I'll look for it on Agon soon. The slot loading mechanism of the 1520 does worry me but I looked around on some forums and apparently it's of good quality.

With that said, I'm pretty sure the specs of the two CD players are identical; the new 1520 simply uses a different DAC and different op-amps. Is that alone enough to contribute to a bigger sound difference?
Does anyone think the Eastern Electric Minimax DAC will interrupt any synergy between my Rotel pre & pro components? The DAC certainly looks very intriguing, especially considering the price. I've never owned tube equipment before. If it does, I'll probably just end up looking for the used 1072. Thanks for the feedback guys!