Rotel RCD-1072 vs Sony XA5400ES

Hello all, which of these two players is better for CD-only playback? The Rotel is an older unit which has served me quite well over the years. The Sony player also does SACD which I don't need but does use the better DAC out of the two -- the Burr Brown 1796 DAC.
mkash3

Showing 2 responses by mkash3

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've just been informed that Rotel has released a brand spankin' new RCD-1570. Might have to hold out for a while until I hear their new offering, which has XLR outputs I might add!
Zd542, both players use Burr Brown DACs but I do believe the Sony chip has much more impressive technical prowess. The spec sheet for the PCM-1796 will reveal that. It's one of BB's top-of-the-line chipsets whereas the PCM-1732 was decent but more noteworthy because of its ability to also decode HDCD.

Like you mention, the analog stage is also very critical in the performance of the DA section. However, I think it's safe to assume that the PCM-1732 (RCD-1072) falls short against the technical performance of the Sony player.