Rotel RB-880 1984-1987

Members
Could anyone give me feedback with their experiences with the Rotel RB-880 2-channel amp @ 100 watt per channel. The unit was built 1984-1987 with an M.S.R.P. of $1099.00 and weighs in at 40+ lbs. I have owned the unit for a long time and find it to be one of the finest SS amps I have ever owned. It was not until 1998 that Rotel offered an amp, (3 channel RB-993) with a higher M.S.R.P. I find no reviews or information on the web about it, I seem to remember hearing that Rotel took special pride in this amp, but just do not remember. Rarely have I seen this amp on the open market and just wanted to know if any of you have used and/or are using, and your feedback about your experiences. I find it to sound wonderful with every speaker application that I have used. I think it is a gem.
thanks for your reponses in advance.
caseyconnect
I can't comment on the RB 880 but I did have the (?)RB 991 which was a great sounding amp. Since that, I've gone from tubes to battery powered amps and now have a Burson integrated which, now that I think of it, sounds very similar, in some ways, to the sound of the Rotel RB 991: big, upfront, alive, never shrill, even handed, deep and tuneful. The Burson has the edge on detail, ambience, tone and separation, enough to justify my having it. But on it's own merits, I miss that Rotel amp.
Old thread, I know, but the info it still useful.
The Rotel RB-880 was an outstanding amplifier, standing out from the rest of their product line.  It was indeed engineered as a truly high-end flagship design, in a pretty ordinary chassis.  In terms of low impedance stability, power supply design, and circuit design, the only amplifiers they have ever made since which would match or top it would be the RHB-05 and RHB-10 (circa 1992 or so), part of their original Michi line.  The RB-890, 990, 991, 1080, etc. are all inferior amplifiers and built for a more value-oriented market, increasing the watts-per-dollar ratio.  This doesn't mean they don't sound good (they are great bang-for-the-buck), but the RB-880 was considerably superior in both sonic accuracy and subjective power output, particularly with more challenging loads.  If you ever have a chance to get your hands on one, I recommend you do so.  They are very, very rare, however.