Roon vs JRiver

Hi all,

I am using JRiver currently on my laptop and am quite happy with it for earphone listening via an AQ Dragonfly.

With the recent rave of Roon, I downloaded the trial to find out more about it and whether it is worth the costly switch. The Roon sub is $119 a year or $499 for a lifetime sub which is hefty compared to JRiver's one-time price of $29.99.

When I compared Roon with JRiver, and I only did this with my laptop, AQ Dragonfly and Shure earphones, I find that Roon's noise floor is rather high compared to JRiver which is actually almost dead quiet. Maybe I am not setting it up correctly but the Audio set-up tab seems rather straightforward and intuitive.
The other thing about Roon is you can't set sampling rates with the versatility that JRiver offers.

Has anyone else compared Roon with JRiver?
I would appreciate any input before I make the decision to stick with JRiver.

Thanks in advance.
J. :)
128x128jon2020

Showing 1 response by ben2300

Sorry to say that you are compare apple to orange.
If you want to compare SQ you should compare with jPlay, HQPlayer, XXHighend just to name a few. and each of them has Pro and Con just like JRiver.

However, if you want to compare music Management. Roon is second to none that currently existing. And just to say Roon might be a new name but people who did Sooloo 10 years ago and also HP Music.

Hope this clear things out.