Roon Nucleus

I have now read 2 reviews of this hardware, in Stereophile (John Atkinson) and in Hi Fi News.
Both reviews fail to address two central questions.
1) what is the need for this?  Since Roon cores can be placed on virtually every playback device around ( PCs, mobile devices, kitchen toasters, etc), why does some need to shell out $1.5 to 2.5K for another piece of Hardware?
2) There was no sonic comparison.  Namely, do files played back on from a device with Roon loaded on it sound different than the same files played from a Roon Nucleus, if all other variables are minimized.
Thought
mahler123
I ditched analog completely but that’s another discussion...I have been using Bluesound for the past 2 years, Node and Vault, but have found it almost as buggy as iTunes on a PC, and the Blue OS App is nothing special, essentially mimicking iTunes.  With all the Bluesound crashes I began to realize that storing my CDs in a proprietary HD was a problem.  Much better to have them on a NAS and then I could pick the playback mechanism, etc.
  So Bought a Synology NAS and was able to transfer the Vault contents to that and have resumed ripping CDs.  Since Roon is the flavor of the month I tried the free download.  It took forever for Roon to scan the 800 CDs on the NAS., almost 24 hours.  The Mac Air overheated and kept freezing up until I removed the Roon software.  I was also unimpressed sonically, with a distinct flattening of the soundstage.
  I know bubkes about IT, but it appeared that the Roon software, which must be extensive, overwhelmed the Computer.  I am guessing that I am not the only person that has had this issue and that Roon has realized that their product may perform better on a dedicated Linux Computer optimized to run their product.  I am also guessing that they just don’t want to come out and say this, because they don’t want to discourage people from buying the software.
  I do find it annoying that the Audio Reviewers, including J.A., choose not to even pose the ?why? question in their reviews.  When it comes to collusion, the Audiophile mags and the manufacturers could show Trump and the Russians a thing or two...
 At any  rate, I am wondering if the sonic issues that I and others have noted with Roon are improved with the Nucleus
I have Roon as well. The end point is a Sonic Transporter and I access the library from an iPad mini. I can say that Roon does not catalog my library to my liking and doesn't seem to recognize my compilation CDs. Not sure if it's a set up issue or something else but I got tired of figuring it out. All the extra content, tags, and feature are kind of useless to me, but i can see why others might like the. I don't think Lightning DS is the be all end all, but it catalogs my library the way I like, is easy to use, and they seem to have gotten past quality and support issues.

In comparison, I can't say one sounds better than the other, and I'm not even going to get into that discussion since digital is not that important to me. As for Roon, I can say it does take a bit to create the library, but I haven't experienced what you have. Then again my library is about 25% the size of yours. I've been pretty happy with Synology, Minim Server, and Lightning DS so I guess I'll leave well enough alone.
 I know bubkes about IT, but it appeared that the Roon software, which must be extensive, overwhelmed the Computer.  I am guessing that I am not the only person that has had this issue and that Roon has realized that their product may perform better on a dedicated Linux Computer optimized to run their product.  I am also guessing that they just don’t want to come out and say this, because they don’t want to discourage people from buying the software.
I know nothing about the Nuclues.  But Roon's hardware requirements are modest and are listed on the website.  

With over 100,000 tracks, I am a very satisfied Roon user.  I originally installed the Roon core on a 2012 Mac Mini loaded with Windows Bootcamp.  I'm now using Windows 10 PC that I built as the Roon Core for audio and also using other software for moves -- i.e. a HTPC.  

With +100k tacks, no track loading delays or problems have been experienced.  I'm a big fan of Roon's interface and have no problems with how my music was originally organized.   

I entered the PC Audio world in 2006.  Since then, I have had several DAC's and tried several different Apple and Windows based music (software) players.  Roon is the latest and for my purposes is a winner. 

I use Roon with a Windows Surface and Laptop acting as remotes and it drives a microRendu connected to a Lampizator DAC.  I'm obviously very satisfied with Roon's sonics and I'm especially happy, because I intend to use Roon as the front-end of a whole house music system.  For that purpose, it just works -- no problems finding end points etc.

I did a direct comparison of Roon to Linn Kinsky using a Raspberry Pi and Digione board.  The board can do both Roon RAAT and DLNA. Linn Kinsky was superior IME.

I think the main reason to use Roon is the tight integration with Tidal.  You can still do this with Linn Kazoo and other players using DLNA renderers.

I use a DLNA UPnP renderer and the SQ is the best I have ever heard, using Linn Kinsky, Minimserver and BubbleUPnP for playback.  12psec of jitter at the end of the coax cable at all sample-rates, measured.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I am glad that there are a lot of happy Roon users out there.  All I’m saying is that I seem to suspect that there also people like me, where it doesn’t so smoothly....it’s a big mother of a program, after all.  And I still haven’t seen an explanation as to why Roon is now selling hardware.  I seem to recall their CEO in their early days stating that their goal was partner with as many hardware companies as possible, but not to compete with them