Roon DAC? help please....took a chance on Pachanko Labs - know nothing about Roon

Hi All,

so basically I sourced a barely used server/streamer with matching power supply and lifetime Roon

I only have a bluesound at the moment as dac / streamer and I'm guessing I need a new dac

Can I buy any dac or must it be Roon ready?

audiocanada

BTW, the node isn't a bad streamer if you add an external DAC.  Take your time upgrading it.

thanks you

im going to get a roon tested dac

this will sound stupid as Ive already bough this thing,

but can anybody please confirm if I need any other hardware other than the constellation mini and dac?

i'm presuming i just connect the constellation mini to ethernet  then USB to DAC (and amp/preamp)

the roon stuff has me confused but wanted to try it and got a great deal on the pachanko unit which the seller told me was a huge upgrade from my bluesound even as just a pure streamer

Your Constellation Mini will be your Roon endpoint and recognized as such. So just about any DAC will do, but, it’s always best to buy Roon approved equipment.

Your core and bridge must be on the LAN so the endpoints can be recognized. You will need to use your phone, computer or note pad as a controller. Your Node won’t work unless you make it hardwired to your LAN or you have a wireless router. Wireless connections are subject to music interruptions when playing hi-res files. The USB on the Node 2i is for an external hard drive.

Did you buy more SSD drive. The SSD for the OS most likely won’t let you store music there You have to have music on a hard drive, Qobuz or Tidal in order to use Roon. If you have a hard drive with music on it you can plug that into the USB in port on the Constellation mini. The only output is USB.

It’s a great thing you can get Roon Lifetime since the price is going up on Dec 31st. Cost now is 699.99 US going to 830.00. I went on the Constellation website and the price for your unit did not change when no to Roon Lifetime was selected.  Roon controller software has always been free. Sorry, but it looks suspicious. Just lock it in before then. Hope this helps.

Pachanko Labs is not listed as Roon Ready or Roon tested.  Again, I would look closely into them.  Good luck with this.

My DAC is not Roon ready, so I bought a Roon Nucleus to use a the streamer and Roon Core. Works great. I believe you could do the same with Small Green Computer.