Room improvement

Many of you speak of the importance a room plays in the ultimate sound . There must be be many variables to try. Where do you start?
audiomaze
In all things I always look for what's easiest and/or most important. Easy like get a couple sheets of Owens Corning fiberglass insulation, cut into 12" triangles, stick em up in the corners. Sound makes walls vibrate, the corners act like horns, and so stopping the sound at the corners has an outsize effect. Or if your speakers are close to a side wall then stopping that first reflection may be more important so try a piece on the wall there. Should hear a nice imaging improvement, again without using so much it makes the room feel overly damped.

Or if your room has a door it might benefit from some weather stripping to keep outside noises out. Cheap. Easy. 

Remember the biggest improvement is always to have the speaker placement dialed in to microscopic perfection. 

Those are the simple/cheap/effective tweaks. To get even more effective you are into Synergistic Research HFT for the walls, ceiling, speakers. HFT are a total system upgrade. The other stuff does make a difference but these, it is hard to believe how good they are.
Personally I think it’s the system’s responsibility to sound good in the room. Not the room’s responsibility to sound good in the system.
Contact GIK Acoustics. You can send them pics online of your room, and they will help you. Great advice, phenomenally high value products.
Personally I think it’s the system’s responsibility to sound good in the room. Not the room’s responsibility to sound good in the system.

Which limits you to speakers which interface well with the room. A good sounding room can accept a much broader range of speakers.  Small speakers sound huge, large speakers sound refined.

Best,
E