Room correction in noisy environment (ARC, Dirac, Minidsp, REW)

I live around downtown Dallas in an apartment where there's a considerable amount of traffic and people noise (thanks Katy Trail Ice House).  I find it very difficult to find the "quietest" time to run my ARC correction.  Will this background noise dramatically affect the outcome? Is it even worth trying?
dtximages

Showing 4 responses by jeremyg112

Did you run your room correction? If so, how did it go? (I've spent a lot of time building acoustic treatments for my houses through the years, and measuring the effects.  Plus I live near Dallas, and am just interested.)
I live in Royse City, on the other side of Rockwall. 

I ended up building my own panels about 5 years ago, and again this past year when I moved. I have two sizes, 2'x4' and 16"x4'. All wrapped in different colors of burlap I picked up at a fabric store. Wish I could upload pics. I use REW and a UMIK mic to measure with. With the panels, I am getting good response reduction from 500Hz to 6.5KHz, with 20db reduction from 1.5KHz to around 4.5KHz.

I had a Marantz AVR with Audyssey, but hardly used it. I don't think it handled my speakers well (Magnepans). I currently have a MiniDSP DDRC-88A and use Dirac Live and bass management features. I'm happy with how it all sounds, but I'm really happy with the fact I can measure and get a quantitative result so I know it's not all in my head!
Woops, typo!  My room is 10db down in the 1.5KHz to 4.5Khz range, not 20db.  That would be something!

You can do a google search on "DIY acoustic treatment panels" and get pretty good info. 
The fact that you successfully started the Anthem testing suggests it could work at a quiet time as Nekoaudio recommended.