Room correction in high-end system???

OK,lots of praise has been heaped on the Tact and Sigtech RCS systems, including in this months TAS. However, I believe my system is pretty high-end (at least by the "How much does your system retail for?" thread) and do not want to harm the already fine sonic charactersitics. I am generally of the mind that "less is more".

Things that concern me are:
- Putting an A/D and then D/A into my vinyl playback chain.
- Putting a lower quality D/A in place or in addition to my SF Processor 3.
- Replacing my beloved BAT VK-50SE pre with a one box DAC/ADC/RCS/PRE.

If my system were in the sub $40k retail range, I would be running to a room correction system, but am a little sceptical given my current investment. It might even be a little snobbishness. However, if I do like it better with RCS, I'd end up saving a bucket of dough.

Has anyone with a well set-up room and system tried one of these? I'd be expecially curious if Mr. Porter or some of the other vinyl fans have had one of these in their system.

Thanks,
Meta
metaphysics

Showing 3 responses by audioguy123

I am saying several things: (1) the digitized LP sound better than the CD of the same recording (ignoring the room correction), but(2) even if the digitized LP is not a good as the non-digitized LP, the room correction advantages far outweigh any degradation you might get from the digitization process.
Metaphysics--

The Tact puts out 24-44/48/96 (whatever it is fed -- not doing upsampling)and the SigTech puts out 24-44/48. Since virtually zip is offered on 24/96 input (especially if SACD wins), the 96 sampling rate is not that critical at the moment.

And for what it is worth, I have done numerous comparisons of CD and their LP counterparts (digitized) and the LP STILL sound better. I have also demonstated to numerous analog folks and did not tell them I was digitizing and NOT ONE could tell.
I have SigTechs and a Tact and I listen to analog and CD. I bought an external A to D going to the SigTech or Tact for converting my analog. I also upsample to 192 coming out of the SigTech (dCS) and use the dCS D to A (Purcell and Delius). While it (A to D conversion) may have some negative sonic footprint, I would sure hate to try to hear it in a blind test.

And whatever the negative consequences of that conversion, I can assure you that it pales in comparison to the huge improvement brought about by the SigTech.

And for using the SigTech in the digital mode (digital in and out), I would challenge anyone to hear it when it is in the circuit in what SigTech calls "AllPass".

Best improvement I have ever invested in. And while the SigTech is not inexpensive, the benefits it provides are worth twice the price.

The Tact is better than not having any room correction (and a lot less expensive than the SigTech) but also nowhere near as good/accurate---and that is easily demonstratable.