Room correction, DSP for dummies.

I have not paid a lot of attention to audio for some time, almost 15 years and as a result I am trying to catch up on some of the innovation and tech developments that have been popping up in that time. 

One of the more interesting to me is the advent of electronically guided digital signal manipulation to help quell small system issues and room reflections. It seems wildly promising but  the few systems that I have read about that seem to work well look to be  painfully expensive. 

Reports have seemed to indicate that this technology was making its way into other, more affordable formats but I guess I just don't understand or grasp where the field is going well enough to know where the bulk of the technology is and how its manifesting in our hobby. 

Who can help shed some light on where this tech is, how  its being applied and how can I make use of it without selling a kidney? Maybe that last part is not possible yet? 

Thanks in advance! 
128x128dsycks
Well I have one way that worked for me as well as other picky Aphiles. 

- sell your dac
- sell your preamp
- sell your amp
- sell the power cords and ICs related to these products 

Take this sum of money and buy a Lyngdorf 2170 one piece audio system with SOTA room correction.  Great unit that replaced $18,000 worth of stuff for me with no regrets.  Lyngdorf also makes the  model 3400.  

Read up on it and decide if this is a viable option for you. Sound quality is first rate and the room correction assures your speakers sound as the designer intended in your particular space. Depending on what you already have for separates you may save money in the end. 
I moved to a patio home where my listening room is now my living room so room treatments are not much of an option other than , carpet on the floor, bookcases full of books , upholstered furniture, drapes usual living room stuff. I got a micromega M100 with MARS  room correction and it has worked well for me. Took a couple of times placing the speakers and running it. If you have a dedicated room I couldn't say this approach is better than room treatments but it works well in my case. I can tell a big difference between the correction on and off as it gives you  the ability compare. 
Investigate the impulse/frequency convolution file created by the free app REW that can be imported into lots of music editors such as JRiver (very inexpensive). Will tune your room to a very high degree depending on how much time you spend correcting the frequency curve in REW.