This is terrible news. When I was younger I had long scraggly black hair and was a bit of a metal head. Being of relatively small stature it was inevitable that I would soon be known by the nickname Ronnie James( my real first name is Ron)soon after shortened to just James. I agree wholeheartedly with the article posted in the link above that Heaven and Hell and to s lesser extent Mob Rules are two of the very best heavy metal/ hard rock albums ever released. He will be sorely missed as he was a true showman who cared about his fans and the material he released and possessed a powerful singing voice. R.I.P. Dio.
Truly sad.
I feel old. Rest in peace.
A shadow has crossed over my heart.
It's a sad day. I have been a fan ever since hearing Rainbow Rising. I still think he is/was one of the greatest singer ever to do heavy metal. There was so much power and depth to his voice.

He was a great writer/co-writer having his name alongside several legends, and not having to play second fiddle to any of them. I hate to hear stories like this, it brings to mind the untimely death of my own father, and my friend Lugnut, Pat Malone.
Terrible news, forever remembered, a leading voice in the Heavens above, R.I.P.
Been a huge fan of RJD for over 3 decades,followed the early stuff "ELF", The RAINBOW years, LOVED him with BLACK SABBATH then (early 80's,MOB RULES, HEAVEN and HELL, LIVE EVIL). I followed his solo stuff and CHEERED when he and IOMMI, BUTLER anf APPICE rose from the deep and kicked all our asses as HEAVEN&HELL. ROnnie James Dio is without a doubt one of the finest rock n' roll singers/front men to have ever lived and I am glad to say I have seen him perform live at least 10 times in my life. He was not just any singer, but a showman extrodinaire, almost to the point of being theatrical. How he could command the stage and deliver some of the most powerful vocals was incredible. For a small man, he stood tall and had much to say, I will truely miss him. The world of rock and roll will never quite be the same as one of the greatest has gone away. We should all bow our heads for a moment of silence, say a few words to ROnnie James. THen take a day to listen to his music and relive how awesome he was. His contribution to METAL will never be forgotten !
Great performer/writer and fortunate to have enjoyed his work over the years........RIP RJD
Have loved his work since Rainbow. I'm probably in the minority here but I preferred Sabbath with RJD at the vocals. His earlier solo work was brilliant! Holy Diver is still one of my all time fave albums. The Rainbow in the Dark has gone to the light. Rest easy, RJD!
RIP will be missed.
A massive loss to the rock world. In every interview I saw him in, he was gracious and funny. A good soul always shines through. I’ll always remember the first time I heard Rainbow Rising. I was like, “Holy s**t, who the F*&K is this guy???” The dynamic range of his voice, and the depth and feel, was just awesome to behold. I really wanted to see Heaven and Hell when they reunited, but none of my friends wanted to go, so I passed. I’ll always regret that one. I’m listening to the recent Deluxe Edition of Mob Rules. The second disc is from a run of shows at the Hammersmith Odeon in December 1981. Man, I had tears in my eyes listening to that voice. There’ll never be another one like Ronnie James Dio. A great person and a great voice. He was blessed and we were blessed to know him through his music. RIP.
Spinal Tap was based on this stuff! RIP RJD