Rogue RP-1 pre-amp. Just another SS pre-amp, or high end caliber??

Rogue RP-1 was reviewed about 6 months ago in Stereophile  I have not seen any other reviews. Does anyone own or have auditioned  this pre-amp. 

If so,  is this just another solid pre-amp, or punches far above its price ($1695.00) and qualifies as a high end product worthy to be placed in systems between $5000-$15,000   Thank you

sunnyjim

cedargrover.  Thank you for response. Yes, you are right, it is a tube pre-amp. I appreciate the link you provided which offers the Soundstage review

The Rogue would be hooked up to a BAT VK-200. My major media source is an Ayre CX-7eMP  As of now, it is hooked to the pre-outs of the a Rogue Sphinx integrated amp; and it sounds  good.. 

However, my intuitions  tell me the VK-200 deserves a better front end BUT, at what cost.

I ran a similar earlier thread asking about whether the pre-out of an integrated amp could provide sound quality equal  that of  a separate quality pre-amp. The reviews were mixed, but favored the separate pre. 

I have looked at a variety of pre-amps including several older BAT pre-amps which even used are not inexpensive and  almost always have neither a remote or phono stage. I could always buy an out board  phono box or stage, but a good simple remote  is a given.  BAT offers both at $500 each....far.too much added dough 

BAT VK-200 is a mix of balanced and unbalanced connectors, but I am not convinced if using  a balanced pre-amp will make a major difference in the sound quality of either than amp, or the  Ayre CD player which recommends using  a balanced output to input cable. 

In addition to older BAT pre-amps, I have considered  a Coda CP preamp, and  a used Conrad Johnson 18LS  which comes with remote and received very good reviews. The Coda CP has both remote and phono stage, the CJ has no phono stage and a few HT features I would never use. The Coda is current, and the CJ LS18 was issued in 2004.

Lastly, did you check out the phono stage of RP-1 ?? 

According to Rogue it is superior to the one  in their Sphinx integrated which I think is quite good, but has a low overall output  with some MM cartridges., and MC high out put MC's.     

If it fits your budget, Audio Advisor has the Parasound P7 on sale for $1699. Balanced in and out, MM/MC phono, headphone amp. 
Would highly recommend the Van Alstine Fet Valve CF preamp - under 2k for the basic model with some available options and higher cost (phono stage, silver faceplate, remote).

Best, Scott

Scott, Thank you for the recommendation.  The remote and phono add about $600 to the retail price of $1899.  I have not seen or read any reviews on the pre-amp .

However, I have considered it.  Van Alstine is a great designer, but his add-on like those of  Balanced Audio Technology, (I think ) cripple many potential sales. BAT 's phono  and remote add $1000 to the bottom line 

To mtbrider, Thanks. I just got the AA catalogue, I will check it out

I have an RP1 paired with a Channel Island E200S feeding Harbeth Super HL5+. Much as I like solid state amps, I wanted an amp I could lift (bad back). I am extremely pleased with the combination. I use a low output MC and the sound is exceptional and smooth. A relatively inexpensive combination with great sound. As for balanced vs unbalanced, in most environments you won't hear a difference over short runs.

Another major advantage of both manufacturers is that you can call and get a knowledgeable person.

I'm a happy camper.