Rogue Rap-1 to RP-5

I own RP-1 and am contemplating an upgrade. Looking for opinions from those who have compared the two preamps (RP-1 and RP-5) side by side or stepped up to RP-5. Is RP-5 a noticeable improvement? What about the phono section (already excellent in RP-1), is it an upgrade as well?
Amplifier is Rogue ST-100, Bryston BDA-3 DAC, Rega P2 table with Hana EL cartridge, Martin Logan Montis speakers.
128x128audphile1

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

The RP1 is OK but early versions sounded bland and lacked transparency.  
The RP 5 sounds better, much more refined, more dynamic and more transparent.  The phono stage is much better.  
HOWEVER the one I recommend you get is the RH 5 headphone amp and line stage with optional phono.  
The sound is much better than the RP1, I prefer it to the RP 7 which i also owned.  
Tge RH 5 is a smaller unit but has a huge, dynamic, driving transparent sound and excellent transparency too.  
With the RH 5 you can use the balanced connections to the stereo 100, lowering noise and improving dynamics.  The RP 5 does not have balanced connections.  
Check stereophiles review of the RH 5, it is awesome !  I didnt even use the headphone amp. i
@audphile1 

i ran the RH 5 with the Stereo 100 (great pairing) and also the Parasound a21+.  I preferred the sound of the Stereo 100 overall, especially bass and dynamics.