Rogue Perseus Magnum / Bel Canto Ref1000

Current System:
Speakers: Gallo Reference 3.5
Preamp: Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum
Power Amp: Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks

Quite happy with the sound of my current setup, but due to space constraints, I’m going to have to downgrade the M-120s to something that takes up a little less real estate.

Is anyone able to advise if if the Bel Canto ref1000 would be a good match with the Perseus mangnum preamp?  I’ve never mixed a tube pre preamp with solid state power amps before, but was hoping the Perseus would keep some of the tube sound I’ve grown to love, while greatly reducing the footprint I currently have with the M-120s.  
Outside of not being able to utilize the XLR connections on the ref1000s are there any technical issues I should be aware of?  
Asking about the ref1000s specifically because I was offered an excellent deal semi-locally, but probably would not be able to give them a test run prior to purchase. 

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Perseus.htm

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
sinner

Showing 2 responses by sinner

The thought did cross my mind... I actually live in the general vicinity of the Rogue factory and last year, pre-pandemic, I actually went down to the factory to get some new caps installed on the M-120s and got to give a listen to some of the integrated amps.  
The rogue integrated amps sounded excellent, however the main reason I am leaning solid state now is I’m hoping to get a bit more thump out of the gallos in the bass department.
Check output impedance specification of that
specific tube pre-amp, but in general, you will likely be much better served with the ref1000m version of those amps ( BC added input stage, 100Kohm input impedance rather than 10Kohm with older ref1000 which is stock Icepower only) for good results with a tube pre-amp (higher output impedance than SS).

Good results meaning lower distortion which improves detail, dynamics, imaging, soundstage, the whole 9 yards!

I run Audio Research sp 16 tube pre-amp to BEl Canto ref1000m monoblock amps. That is a match made in heaven!

As a pre-caution, I would not use any SS amp with less than 40-60Kohm input impedance with any tube pre-amp.

There are other newer Class D amps out there that would likely provide that at prices more competitive with old ref1000. ref1000m used still tend to fetch a good resale price, possibly over $3K.

But I would worry first about getting the right impedance match between pre-amp and amp before cost. If that is not done right the cost of the amp will not matter. You will likely
achieve well less than optimal performance.
Excellent, thank you for the detailed response, much appreciated! I’ll make sure and check out the impedance before pulling the trigger.  
I also shot an email over to Rogue and they said it shouldn’t be an issue as well!