Rogue Cronus Magnum Dies Help

I was listening to my Rogue Cronus Magnum this afternoon This unit had cap and resistor upgrades done at Rogue by the original owner a couple of years ago., Today suddenly the remote stopped working I changed batteries which were fine I also tried to program a LT 350 but that did not work either I called Rogue but they had no idea. 20 minutes later the volume control started working via remote.

I went for 20 minute walk with the dog. Upon arrival home I found the amp the amp dark No tubes lit , no blue light on. I tried the power button on and off Nothing Unplugged it waited then plugged it in Nothing I checked the power supply fuse and it is fine I checked another large fuse inside. it is fine as are the 4 small ones. Push the power button It does nothing Took it in the kitchen Same thing Dead as a whatever. What happened here?? The main transformer go out??? Thanks  

128x128geph0007

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

last year i traded in my rogue cronus magnum "dos" that i had for almost three years of faithful service.
the dealer i went to was playing a system fronted by a $3K Rega Elicit R amp driving a pair of klipsch la scala speakers. the music sounded very good and enjoyable. pleasant.
the dealer connected up the cronus (stock tubes) to the la scalas and the sound became instantly much more open, clear, transparent and BIG.  amazing !  the cronus mag absolutely shredded the rega elicit R, with stock tubes to boot !
i ran some reasonable NOS small signal tubes in the CM II and the sound was worlds better than the stock tubes.
three power amps and three pre amps later the sound is finally much improved over the cronus mag- but the journey was difficult and expensive.
sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.