Rogue audio RP-7 versus PS Audio BHK preamplifier

I have an old Rogue Audio Super Magnum 99 tube preamplifier that I will be replacing in the not too far future. I really liked the sound of the magnum 99 except for the tube hiss. It’s not audible when playing music but still bothers me, particularly when the volume is low. It also constructs the soundstage, an effect that is evident when I connect the external DAC directly to the amplifier. 

from what I read both of these models should be a significant improvement over the magnum 99. I am wondering if anyone who have heard them both has any opinions/thoughts on how they compare.

benjosef1
Jackd, I did not think about this but you are correct. Very important consideration in my mind. Do you have any suggestions as to other tubes that would make the bhk a tadd more tuby/warm?
The obvious choice is usually Mullard but they are getting very expensive if you buy from a reputable seller like Andy at VTS.  A more cost effective alternative are the tubes made in the Matsushita factory in Japan that was set up with the help of Mullard and used many of their tooling and methods.  They were available with under many labels other than their own.  Last I checked Andy had a good supply.  I also have had good luck with the Black Plate Raytheons and Toshiba's that were available as tubes from the organ companies like Conn and Baldwin.  I was not as impressed with the 6 and 7 volt tubes and I tried quite a few.  The best were the Matsushita's and the Phillip's that Kevin was selling.  Both are on the warmer side.  One thing to consider with the BHK is that it greatly prefers tubes that are not only matched to each other but also have matched Triodes.  The best of the current production tubes is probably the Gold Lion which you can buy that way from the TubeStore for under $100 a pair.  You probably can't go wrong with either choice but I have never owned a Rogue preamp only amps.  Another good possibility is the Backert Rhuma 1.3.
Have had a BHK preamp in my system for a week now. Replaced a Rotel RC-1590.  It was a very noticeable change in sound. Only 35 hours on it so far. I am using Bob Carver VTA-180 mono blocks using all Gold Lion tubes. I have tried 4 or 5 tone tubes in the amp. Came to me with medical grade 50s era Mullard tubes. I found them too bassy and no high end detail.  Of course, I have Klipsch Cornwall III’s with a 15” woofer.

BHK preamps are shipped with Gold Lion tubes. Depending on your system, it may sound bright. Like jackd said above, the beauty of tube gear is that changing tone is just a matter of finding the right tube. I like that the fact that as I upgrade, I can adjust the sound as I go. 

Happy listening. 
Rogue Audio RP-7
Audiophiles I know who have flipped their Rogue Pre - Amps have gone on to regretted it. One even tried to buy his back after he sold it to no avail.

Very friendly to Tube Rolling - IMHO highly recommended for optimum performance - will produce incredible sound stage, imagery and detail.
Dare I suggest to feed it with a very good power chord and you will have a unit that will rival others with a MRSP 4X its price.

Try NOS - GE, Mullards, RCA, Siemens, Telefunken, and the European alternative ECC82.  The Siemens ECC82 is my preference - Has the rich mid range of  the Mullard  combined with the  detailed high to mid low of the Telefunken.

For the BHK you want Tunsgram  PCC88s. Mine shipped with PSVane 12AU7s and was super bright.  The Tunsgrams make it perfect.