Road trip to demo $10,000 speakers

I'm going to take a several hour road trip to the Washington DC/Baltimore area to demo some speakers in the $10,000 range for a once in a lifetime purchase. I plan on listening to some Magico A3's, Aerial Acoustic 7T's, and Spendor D-9's. One of the dealers also has Paradigm Persona 3F's on the floor, so I'll take a listen to them too. While I'm up there are there any other speakers in that price range you'd recommend I try to locate and take a listen to. I'm open to and welcome your suggestions and will take the time to research each one as well.

I'm not in the market for used equipment. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Mike

skyscraper

Showing 8 responses by tomic601

i am also from Ohio...my recollection is the song aint all that glowing...something about “ parking....spaces”....

funny story.....i was trudging past the reader board for Mershon auditorium on High street and a gal was changing letters to act a new act

she had spelled out The Pre

i asked to solve the puzzle...yes..The Pretenders at Mershon ( small seats like 600, typicality classical, light jazz, ndver Blues, seating staff wear tux’s....my first thought is unpublishable...my second thought a booking mistake...no way !!!!
next stop ticket office...max out my student cub scout VISa...ask forgiveness later..

omg did they freaking rock that place
band hung out at Agora ballroom across street afterwards....

”my city was gone”
again I am getting fantastic sound with a $3.2 K NAIM integrated driving Vandersteen Treo CT......i am quite sure it would generate Condo eviction levels......ha
is it 1.2 KW a side like I have in the reference system?...no but it is fine and very very non fatiguing...

there are a herd of insanely good integrated amps in the $5-10 range...especially used..
Rogue
Electrocompiniet
VTL
ARC
Ayre
Pass
the list goes on and on...

your two highest distortion producers are the transducers....put the $$$$$$ there......
i would also encourage you to head South and visit Alan at HiFi Buys in Atlanta......
well with a decent wood working shop you can build your own diffusers in exotic woods...I love the look of RPG..
your room will be better than 90% out there because of the ceilings...check out Rudy Van Gelders studio.......
what state are you in ?
@ieales I interpreted your post to mean you recorded and mixed Al J...well that is astounding....I set about building my own digital and analog rack to push myself , learn but also know what the feeds sound like....keeps me from chasing my tail....Ruby is certainly great also....
I am a Vandersteen fanboy...since 1977 chasing time and phase and doing it scientifically.....but again I own and listen to other gear, including panels.....including the vaunted “ squids”as you call them!

Mike the OP - i think you will find your room sounds better than most...get some natural diffration in those book shelves, rugs, java tables, art, etc..most audiophile dedicated rooms are sterile beyond belief including the forest of reflective gear planted between speakers and a barrier to actually using the turntable...

i think you should add The Vandersteen Treo CT to your list, yes I do own them, so factor that in...
might I suggest you keep the DQ 10 also...persue a slow do it your self to learn rebuild program..start w caps and ridding yourself of the Piezo honker, go from there....every now and then sub them in to your system and learn to listen critically vs whatever it is you settle in on

my two cents..

have fun
so.......the list is ten listening days long...IF you want to get past obvious listener fatigue and louder is better speakers.....
I spent 7 hours at one dealer weeding out 4 power amps....and one was DOA after 3 minutes.. ARC class D...

IMO split this up or pare the list a bit.....