RMS Power?

I often see power specifications like "100W RMS".  There is no such thing as RMS power.  Of course, you can calculate RMS value from any curve, including power curve, but it won't represent anything.  "Real" power representing heat dissipated in resistive load is "Average Power"   Pavg=Vrms*Irms.   In case of sinewaves Pavg=0.707Vpeak * 0.707Ipeak = 0.5Ppeak,  or Ppeak = 2Pavg. 

Term "RMS Power" or "watts RMS" is a mistake, very common in audio.
128x128kijanki
@almarg, Al, as you can’t attend any of Roger’s presentations, have you watched the two videos on You Tube of his seminars at The Burning Amp Festival? His and Nelson Pass’, that is. Great stuff! It's a pleasure to own products by both these great designers.
@imhififan  Thanks for the nice words, Roger and AL

I wish kijanik would join us in laying to rest this matter of three misplaced letters. It appears that three letters misplaced caused all the fuss.

I will soon post a paper on my experience of the running up of power numbers that the FTC stepped in to fix a real problem. I dont know which maker started it but Peak to Peak power has no meaning since the load can never see the peak to peak across it. I note some ESL headphone amp makers are using Peak to Peak voltage. That is disappointing.
bdp24  12-12-2018:

Al, as you can’t attend any of Roger’s presentations, have you watched the two videos on You Tube of his seminars at The Burning Amp Festival? His and Nelson Pass’, that is. Great stuff! It's a pleasure to own products by both these great designers. 

Thanks, Eric.  I had seen those mentioned in Roger's "Ask an amplifier designer" thread, and I've watched the video of Roger's presentation, as well as the several short videos on his Berkeleyhifischool.com site.  All very informative and well presented.  I haven't watched Nelson's yet, although I certainly intend to, in part because I recently purchased an XA25.  (I've been delighted with it, btw).

Roger's hifi school videos in particular pack an amazing amount of good information into their short lengths. 

Thanks again.  Best regards,
-- Al 
@williewonka 

Hmmm - I think I’ll elect to - NOT loose any sleep over it.

Umm, it’s “lose”, not “loose”. Uggghhhh!