RMS Power?

I often see power specifications like "100W RMS".  There is no such thing as RMS power.  Of course, you can calculate RMS value from any curve, including power curve, but it won't represent anything.  "Real" power representing heat dissipated in resistive load is "Average Power"   Pavg=Vrms*Irms.   In case of sinewaves Pavg=0.707Vpeak * 0.707Ipeak = 0.5Ppeak,  or Ppeak = 2Pavg. 

Term "RMS Power" or "watts RMS" is a mistake, very common in audio.
128x128kijanki
Thanks for the gracious post, Roger.

I wish we were sitting around a table drinking and having more fun with this. These topics are interesting to discuss, we all learn from those who can best express their ideas calmly and rationally.  

I would like to have Imhififan at the table. I have enjoyed how he said little but kept coming back a source that cleared it up for me.

+1. 

And regarding Imhififan's posts, I've participated in quite a few threads to which he has contributed, many involving technical matters, and as far as I can recall every one of his posts has been spot on.

And yes, it would be fun to kick these things around while "hoisting a few," as the saying goes.  And if I weren't on the opposite coast I would certainly be tempted to attend some of your presentations.

Best regards,
-- Al 
Post removed 
@almarg, Al, as you can’t attend any of Roger’s presentations, have you watched the two videos on You Tube of his seminars at The Burning Amp Festival? His and Nelson Pass’, that is. Great stuff! It's a pleasure to own products by both these great designers.
@imhififan  Thanks for the nice words, Roger and AL

I wish kijanik would join us in laying to rest this matter of three misplaced letters. It appears that three letters misplaced caused all the fuss.

I will soon post a paper on my experience of the running up of power numbers that the FTC stepped in to fix a real problem. I dont know which maker started it but Peak to Peak power has no meaning since the load can never see the peak to peak across it. I note some ESL headphone amp makers are using Peak to Peak voltage. That is disappointing.