RME ADI-2 DAC FS is it "All That", especially for under $2,000?

I am upgrading my main system with a Mark Levinson No 532H and pair of Tekton MOABs, arriving in the next few weeks. I decided my Music Hall 25.3 DAC should probably be upgraded as well, I have a PS Audio preamp I was planning on still using.

I am getting a lot of recommendations for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and some are saying replace my PS Audio preamp with it also. Pretty much every review or even mention of it I can find, comes with descriptions like "End Game product regardless of price" and "State of the art".

Thoughts?
Thanks.
128x128brad1138
I have and love the RME ADI-2 FS DAC.
I’m sure the Topping D90 and others are wonderful but there are several features that swayed me to the RME.

The RME has easy access to treble and bass adjustments. It has a choice of 5-6 filters to shape the music to my taste. It also has a parametric EQ on board for even more control of the sound.

I know using those functions mentioned above is considered heresy by some, but for me, it’s all about getting the most from my system and enjoying my music to the fullest.

It’s great to see all these choices popping up on the market now.

@joeini how does it sounds? compared to other DACs you might have experienced?
@luisma31

Hi,

I also have an Audio Mirror Tubador III SE that I love. The reason I bought the RME was because I wanted a solid state dac that I could leave on all the time.

I’ve been burning in the RME ADI-2 for a few days. It’s neutral and clear as a bell but not aggressive or harsh. Actually, it’s pretty awesome. I’m going directly into my amp right now to make things easy. I always prefer a preamp in the chain but this unit might change my mind. Especially now with the choice of filters and on board treble and bass controls.
It’s dead quiet, has tons of details and a ballsy bass line. An unbelievable bargain for $1150.
My Audio Mirror is so good, it gives LampizatOr a run for its money. The Tubador is sweeter, meatier and a little fuller than the RME, but it’s all about the presentation you prefer.
I’m not getting rid of either and love them both for different reasons but the RME is a giant killer. Sorry for the cliche.

Monday I’m going to change up my system to something that I’m more used to hearing and I’ll update later on in the week.
returned the topping d90 mqa - my three dacs presently are rme adi 2, chord qutest and chord 2qute
Hey,
I "Mirror" luisma31 post.
I too have the RME. His remarks are spot on.

And I have a tube DAC (Musical Paradise MP D1 MKII with upgraded caps and 6922 tubes) which I enjoy as well.

The DAC's are at opposite ends of the audio spectrum.
Yes, the RME is crystal clear with no digital glare or harshness but the sound stage is a bit narrow and shallow.

The MP DAC o.t.h. is lush and full. It has a wonderful expansive sound stage.
The RME is a bit better at "hearing into" the mix (detail).

Truth be told; I can listen to either for hours with no listening fatigue.

That being said; The MP DAC is about 9 years old.
I wanted to ask Luisma about the sound qualities of the Audio Mirror Tubidour III.
What is your opinion of the Audio Mirror unit? 
Is it detailed as well as being musical?
That would seem to be the ideal character for a DAC.

Thanks very much.