RME ADI-2 DAC FS is it "All That", especially for under $2,000?

I am upgrading my main system with a Mark Levinson No 532H and pair of Tekton MOABs, arriving in the next few weeks. I decided my Music Hall 25.3 DAC should probably be upgraded as well, I have a PS Audio preamp I was planning on still using.

I am getting a lot of recommendations for the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and some are saying replace my PS Audio preamp with it also. Pretty much every review or even mention of it I can find, comes with descriptions like "End Game product regardless of price" and "State of the art".

Thoughts?
Thanks.
128x128brad1138

Showing 2 responses by ddafoe

I picked up an ADI-2 FS last week and have been letting it run in for a few days.  My previous DAC was a Bricasti M3.

For the money, I very much like its sound quality, and that doesn't take into account the many features it offers.

A question for other owners, has anyone had intermittent connection issues with the power cable?   The connection on my unit is not very good and I have to move/wiggle the connector to get it to power up, and then moving or touching the power cable can cause it to power off.
I'm wondering if this is a common problem or just related to my unit...

On the topic of the power supply, has anyone tried a power supply upgrade and did it make any difference?   One minor complaint I have with the sound is I don't find it overly dynamic or offering overly strong bass.  I am wondering if a better power supply might improve that aspect of its sound.
@oddiofyl that was it, I wasn't locking it; thanks!

@sfseay, my M3 had the MDx board in it from the factory.   I find the ADI-2 to offer a little less resolution compared to the M3, and less drive and dynamics.   The ADI is smooth and very easy to listen to.   I found it lean sounding when I first hooked it up, but after running it 24/7 for a few days I feel like it has added a little more depth, although that might simply be related to me listening to the Topper D90 a lot recently which is very detailed and focused.    I found the M3 a little thin sounding compared to my previous DAC (380DSD) so I could see some folks liking the ADI sound better if ultimate resolution and dynamics isn't their number one goal in a DAC.   The ADI makes it very easy to listen to the music without having to focus on every little recording detail.   On the same hand, on some high quality recordings I wish for a little more detail and jump similar to what the M3 and D90 offer. 

For its 'relatively' modest asking price and throw in its many features, I think it is a great deal at 1/5 the cost of the M3.    When you have settled in with it, please let me know your thoughts on it...   I'm still tempted to try a M3 again but this time around get the integrated Ethernet board since I only stream; the big step up in price after hearing what is available for around $1K is making it hard on me to pull the trigger now though :)