RMAF 2011: Any tips?

I'm going to Rocky Mountain Audiofest this year for the first time. There's a lot to see, and I'm not quite sure how to prioritize. Does anyone have advice about things that shouldn't be missed? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Bryon
bryoncunningham

Showing 3 responses by sounds_real_audio

I usually try to steal a reviewers badge. Then when you go into a room they play what ever CD you may bring. They also reward you with their "top self" liquor. They keep it in the bathroom under the sink and it usually not visible to the average show goer. A warning however, be sure to compliment them on the sound. Say something like, "the midrange sounds fuller this year and the bass is tighter, did you change the crossover or eliminate that annoying cabinet resonance?" That puts them off their game and gives you a chance to ask for a refill on your 30 year old scotch.
I recommend that you start the show on the main floor. There is a large atrium and rooms on the West side. Larger systems,,really large. Start there. Also rooms in that hall way that goes behind the elevator, the Conifier rooms and a few more. Then do the rooms above the atrium, the 4th. 5th. etc. floors. Cover those areas. Takes about 3 hours. By now the crowds headed up to the tower will have diminished and you can head over to that direction. check out the rooms on the mezzanine. Don't fall in love with any room. To early for that. Just adjust your ears. Now you can head up the tower. I recommend going all the way up to floor 11. The elevator going up gets crowded, going down is easier.

Be prepared to be disappointed.... those highly reviewed amps speakers etc. don't always sound that great.

Take a CD or two that you like but I recommend if you go to a room and like the sound you might just ask them their favorite CD/Album and have them play that.

Have fun

Jim
Not sure what your goal is when you attend but even though there are lots of rooms you should be able to get through all of them pretty quickly. Take a few notes of the rooms you like. On day two if you have made it around you should have narrowed it down to 20 rooms or less that you were impressed with. Go back to those rooms again. Also ask other people what rooms they were impressed with and why. You might have missed something. On Sunday most rooms will have really settled in and if they are ever going to sound good they will. So Sunday you should plan to spend some real time in your favorite rooms.

If you like analog Michael Fremer might have a seminar going on so don't miss those. Other seminars as well.

Have fun. Colorado brews some great beers so don't drink Bud, drink local.

Jim