RIP - Richard Brown, BEL

Richard passed away October 10,2009. I was first introduced to Richard’s amp about 10 years ago. I purchased a pair of the MKII’s off the gon and was very impressed by their performance. So I got in touch with Richard and told him I wanted the upgrades to MKV statis. I enjoyed my conversations with him over the two year period I was waiting for him to begin the upgrades. (Begging with him at the end of each phone call) It was a very painful two year wait but well worth it! I did understand he had a life outside of audio. Subsequently I had him perform his MKV upgrade on another pair I purchased several years later. The previous owner had his name in for the upgrades so I was automatically in line. I only had to wait about 3 months this time around. Just recently I had the opportunity to purchase 2 more of his amps and had them shipped to him to perform yet another MKV upgrade. Not so lucky this time around.

I only new Richard through this hobby. He was a great guy who conducted his work life on his terms. His passing is a real shocker to me! My blessings to his wife. He will be missed.

Byron
byfo
This is sad news, indeed. I spoke with him about a year ago concerning using long runs of his speaker wire and sending my 1001 in for a "tune up" and possible upgrade. He was very gracious, patient, and helpful, and put me on his waiting list (he told me about a years wait) for the amp mods. BTW, my 1001 was manufactured in 1985; I bought it used in 1988, he modified it in 1990, and I am still using it today, 21 years later. It has given me immeasurable hours of pleasurable service....
I am also saddened by this loss. I have owned three MkV's, two of which remain the heart of my system and my pride and joy. I've exchanged many emails and had several phone conversations with Richard. His was the kind of mind and level of drive that inspire awe and produce greatness. He was also kind, patient, and respectful in all of our dealings. I will never forget him or his exemplary and hard-won achievements, his excellent amplifiers being but one of many.

Paul Pearah
This is indeed a sad moment. The audio world has lost a great designer. I was in touch with him recently about buying a MkV. It looks like I'm too late.
Never owned a pair of Mk Vs but I did audition in my home.
Best sound heard to date.
The man had great ears.
RIP
I'm very sorry to hear of his passing. This is one amp that was always on my short list of "must try", but it wasn't the easiest product to find or audition. It must be one heck of an amp, you don't see many folks that owned one letting it out of their hands.