Richard Green room tune?

Has anyone used the freestanding Richard Green room tune or tune packs acoustical treatements? To what results? I'm looking to tame the brightness in my 11 x 15 room.
dgplo

Showing 7 responses by robm321

I've made a diy version and it works. So, I would assume the real ones do too. Eighth Nerve does the same thing, and they've said that they haven't had a single return.
For the difference that it made for me, I believe it.

I'm kind of worried about the brightness in your small room though. I had that in a room for about a year and never solved it. I could absorb the room, but it would sound dead. The room tunes weren't enough to deal with it. Hopefully, others can chime in.
I'm sort of kidding. Sort of because you do have the same grammer, but I didn't really think you were. Are you? ;)
The energy IS the problem. Especially when you have brightness sticking an icepick in your brain when someone hits a high note. If that's the case, which it is for me, nothing else matters. I've been listening to headphones. Redirecting energy would be good, but the cost or complexity of a project to build or buy diffusors to cover a large room would be rediculous. Too much bsorbtion makes the music dark and not worth listening to either. Room tunes (both brands) use the same technique as a lot of others. absorb, but have reflective a reflective serfice that will keep the high freq bouncing around. Will it help with brightness I don't know.

"Even though I'm sure they will be better than nothing, given the fact that manufacturers go through many prototypes with a wide variety of materials to finalize their designs it seems unlikely you will hit upon the most effective combination of materials and dimensions on your first try."

Some do - some don't. Obviously, if you see fiberglass or wool and a reflective surface, they didn't put a lot of R&D into it. That's all most acoustic treatment is. And given the price, I would assume they know that we know.
I look forward to the results. I have a few questions.

What are you going to use for the reflective side?

Is the carded wool better than condensed fiberglass?

What is the purpose of life? (sorry got carried away)
Trelja, Shoe thanks for the info. I made some up with foil as the reflector and with fiberglass. It made an improvement,however, I also have heard that fiberglass (condensed, especially) was not ideal.

The ones I made were more to see if it was worth making higher quality ones. In other words, I wanted to see if they made a difference.

I'm going to find some wool and start making new ones. Be warned though, the sewing was harder than it seemed. Everything else was pretty easy.

Well good luck and I'll post my results.