Richard Gray's 400 Pro = Emperor's New Clothes??

Category: Accessories

I just purchased (for $800) a Richard Gray's Power Company 400 Pro. I was not in the market for an AC filter, but when I purchased a new system the dealer gave me a hard, hard sell, promising wonders. This is a reputable dealer, so I trusted him, and he gave me a week to try it out. After using the device for a week, and after ensuring the new system (all Rotel with a Rega TT) was broken in, I followed the manufacturer's instructions to demonstrate the effectiveness of the device (ie. plug the decide into a jack on the circuit and all other components into a power strip) then pulled the plug on the 400. Nothing. Despite trying a variety of source material, I could not hear ANY difference with the 400 in or out. I do not have a tin ear and have been able to discern differences with various interconnects, etc., but this device registered no change whatsoever. I'm returning it to the dealer today. Anyone else have a similar experience? Views?
robreuland

Showing 2 responses by rouvin

Albert Porter's comments have piqued my interest on this complicated question, and I'd like to ask about how to help me figure out what to do about my power situation.

I live in a quasi-rural area with a far lower population density than most suburban communities. Our road has about 18 houses spread over a little over a mile. My house is the end of the line, with approximately 800' run of underground electrical cables. A vented underground transformer serves my house alone, since the nearest house to mine on the same lines is approximately 1000' away and closer to the line run on the road.

Still, I have brown outs at times, and I think I have detected power surges as well. The music room has 2 outlets on the same circuit and a ceiling fan. When listening, I have on one or two incandescent lamps. Tube power, tube pre, tube CD, turntable with vac holdown, transistor step-up and electrostatic speakers are on the 20 amp circuit. The power amp is plugged into the same outlet as the power conditioner that has the rest of the components plugged into it. The overall quality of the sound improved when the power amp was plugged directly into an outlet rather than going through the power conditioner. The conditioner sound is better than with a power strip.

Running dedicated lines to the music room seems quite difficult with the construction of the house since there is no basement and the wiring is in the walls.

My 200 amp service box definitely needs replacing. If dedicated outlet rewiring is not in the cards, what recommendations might be made here?

Thanks,
Rouvin
Albert,

Thanks for the info. I will be investigating what is required of the power company. I assume that I will need some sort of power audit (from the contractor?)to document the brown outs and surges.