Ribbon midrange pros and cons

Ribbon tweeters are fairly common on some high end speakers. ...they sound great.....can anyone tell me why ribbon midranges are hardly ever used by some of the best speaker companies. ..what are the pros and cons? 
128x128vinnydabully
Thank you guys for all the responses. .those explanations were on the same lines as l was thinking ...l was particularly thinking of the infinity Beta ,the Epsilon and the new speakers PS Audio is working on...Paul says hes working on a 120 db. Ribbon midrange .l just dont see other manufacturers using these types of midranges and wondering why.l an going to Expona this weekend in Chicago to listen to some great systems. ..lm sure to be impressed. ...
Adam Audio has ribbon mids . Don't know if its a pro or con . I own the Tensor Gamma version . It is probably the closest in sound to my King Sound King electrotat speaker I have come across in detail , speed and tone .
PS Audio was working on an AMT midrange, but was unhappy with the sound. At AXPONA, they will be using a Bohlender Graebener Neo10 planer magnetic driver.

There is a lot of inaccuracy bandied about when talking about ribbon transducers. A ribbon is a piece of very thin corrugated foil suspended in a magnetic field. They are not planar magnetic drivers (the AMT is a folded planar magnetic driver, and the Infinity EMITs and EMIMs were planar magnetics). And although 1930s era ribbon microphones did require matching transformers, modern ribbon drivers, i.e. as used in Apogee speakers, have a long enough ribbon that their DC resistance is near 4 ohms and does not require a transformer. I’m uncertain what Magnepan uses, but my guess is long, thin, planar magnetic drivers. (Though the new LRS may use ribbons - but if the conductor is bonded to a membrane, it isn’t a ribbon).
The true test is in the listening.  I own a pair of 3.6 Maggies, that aing when driven by McIntosh MC501s via a tube preamp.

Yes, they open up with sufficient power / current.  There is a reason that many are fans of this configuration.  Ask Elizabeth how her 20.7s sound and image.

Listen to a well set up pair driven properly and you perspective will most likely shift.