Review: Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 DA converter

Category: Digital

I just finished setting this up and am in the process of breaking this unit in. The soundstage this unit renders is fantastic. I am not a huge audiophile like many of the listeners on this forum but I have a pretty descent ear and have been listening to lossless audio files from my home theater computer with a toslink out into my Arcam AV9. I spent quite a bit of time getting the speakers into an optimal listening position and was pretty pleased with the set up. Adding the DAC-1 to the system took it to a completely different level. I listen to a pretty broad array of music and I heard an immediate effect across the board. Soundstage was wider and deeper, female vocals became more "clear", and everything sort of tightened up in a good way. I've never used a DAC before and I thought I would give this one a try due to the reviews the new chip they use is getting. Well worth the $1k price. I have it running from several sources with no problems. The UI is completely intuitive and the unit is very well built. The only improvmeent I would like to see on this unit is a 12v switch becasue I am lazy. Nice work Wyred 4 Sound. Great value for the money.

Associated gear
Sonus Faber Domus, Krell Amp, Arcam AV9,
momo9394

Showing 1 response by momo9394

The soundstage is still very deep and broad. I would say the whole thing has mellowed out a bit especially on the highs. Noise floor hasn't changed - pretty low to begin with. I am defintiely impressed with this unit.