Review: VTL MB-100 Tube amp

Category: Amplifiers

My musical tastes are based on unusual for audiofile musical areas such as enjoying dissonance in musical compositions, exploring minimalizm, sophisticated electronics, musical abstractions, avant-grade or even everything above said mixed. Along with this I love euro jazz and progressive rock.

In this situation I can explain that I need a completely full-range system that can reproduce nearly everything. I need clarity in small bands and sophisticated electronics, I need dynamics and bass for rock and big-bands or orchestras. I do not have in my collection too many pieces of a large orchestras but for example Keith Tippett 50piece band sounds about right in my rig. Classical music for me limited with only few composers and I can only say it's neo-classical music: Michael Nyman, Alexander Balanescu, Alfred Schnittke or Alf(which is mostly strings). Along with that I mostly listen to the music and performance rather than listening to how it sounds.

I'm using my vtl amps for more than two years after the Bryston 3b-st.
These increadibly well engineered tube mono amps that sound natural and dynamic without compromizing to different kinds of music(except large classical orchestras) Voice is increadible and dynamics are fast and strong. Bass is not as boomy rather than being defined deep and soft compared to 3b-st. Sound of percussion is deep and detailed; drumsets sound dynamic and resolved on upper range(maybe a-bit bright but it's sometimes great for jazz). IMO these amps let the speakers source components and preamp do the job they have to do without adding to them any extra task revealing their weaknesses and strengths.
It runs very quiet and do not have any hissing sounds. You have to touch the driver with your ear to hear the noise especially after I replaced stock powercord with VanDenHul Mainstream. My amps are truly "Heavy Horses" that used to serve to the seller and than to me and don't break. The only downside of my amp is that I have to roll tubes freequent i.e more often than once per year due to the freequent and long listenings(10000 lps and cds for the past few years what do ya think!). Usually that is the time when my amps become to sound not right(i.e dull and mushy)
My plans was to biamp my speakers with McCormack DNA1 for bottom end but heh I've changed my mind after I've listened to Orpheus ear-speaker system. Hell with everything -- maybe I can get it used someday with sufficient break on the original mega-price and yet I would keep my VTLs/Totems for public listening.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
Quicksilver Silver60
Rogue Tempest
Bryston 3b-st
128x128marakanetz

Showing 1 response by rcziech

Had a pair of these years ago and would have saved lots of money if i had stopped there. Very good amps IMO...